Skip to main content

My Old Man


My parents gave me and my brother a pretty great childhood. They provided a loving, supportive home; taught us the value of work and determination; put us through college; and were extremely generous. We lived a short walk to the neighborhood pool; a massive park with fields for baseball and football, tennis and basketball courts, swing sets, walking paths and sledding trails; and woods with paths that led to a lake with an abandoned car, our elementary school, even downtown Rockville.

I remember Saturday mornings in the winter my dad would sometimes take us duckpin bowling or to the pool hall on Rockville Pike to give my mom a brief break from us. A treat, believe it or not, was to go to the car wash afterward and watch through the windshield as the soapy water sprayed and the brushes spun while we sat inside dry but accosted by the noise.

Sometimes dad would pull into the gas station and fill ‘er up, meticulously recording in a little green book with lined paper the mileage, amount of fuel taken on (and figuring in his head and recording the miles per gallon), and the cost – he was, after all, an engineer. Then we would stop at McDonald’s and bring home lunch.

One time he took us fishing in a rented rowboat on the Potomac River. I flipped my new Zebco rod back to ready the cast that would send the lure flying into the brown water but instead hooked my dad’s fishing hat and received a good chewing out.

He loved to golf and tried to teach me, but the golf gene didn’t carry over to me. My brother, on the other hand, was a natural. He also was inclined to math and science like our dad. They did things together, like building a short wave radio and rebuilding the engine of an MG-B GT.

My dad also loved the latest electronic gadgets and cars. We were among the first families in our neighborhood to have pushbutton phones and a color TV. He had a massive stereo to play his LPs – Al Hirt, Pete Fountain, Patty Paige – for the three-table bridge parties he and my mom hosted. He had a long-term goal of owning a new Cadillac: He first bought a used 1961 Caddie that was three years old, then a two-year-old 1967 model, and eventually bought his treasured new one.

He also loved to go on cruises that my mom organized. They traveled the globe and probably went on 20 or more cruises. There’s almost nowhere on earth they didn’t go. My dad, the garrulous extrovert of the family, was in his element. He loved meeting new people and striking up friendships.

While my dad couldn’t instill in me golf skills, he did teach me humility, respect, dignity and courage when faced with adversity, love, and humor.

My dad married my mom when he was 20 (and she just 17), served in the Navy and then went to George Washington University on the G.I. Bill. Upon graduation with an electrical engineering degree, he had a job lined up with Westinghouse, but his job offer was rescinded when the company learned he had been diagnosed with epilepsy, an illness that shadowed him throughout his life. He instead went to work for the federal government.

I was present for a few of his grand mal seizures – not pretty sights for a son. He endured them and the stigma of his disease throughout his life, and it was a series of seizures when he was in acute care at the retirement community where he and my mom lived that ultimately took him.

I have a few mementos: his leather-top desk, a pair or two of his cufflinks, a ring, the 18-inch bamboo slide rule that he used to make trigonometric calculations. I wish I had that little green book with his mileage notations.

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads!



Comments

  1. Kind of nice to see Dad wearing his Western Washington University (WWU) sweatshirt. That's where I taught for about 15 years, still my favorite workplace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Afri-freaking-ca!

Donna and I recently took the trip of a lifetime, a safari in Tanzania on Africa’s central east coast. We visited Tarangire National Park, with multiple herds of elephants; Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which features the renowned Ngorongoro crater; and Serengeti National Park. Serengeti, like Ngorongoro, is a UNESCO World Heritage site; it is home to some 1.5 million migratory wildebeest, 400,000 zebra, 3,000 lions, and many other herbivores and predators. After much research, we booked our 10-day excursion through Micato Safaris . It was a great choice. We were pampered with luxurious accommodations, incredibly up-close animal sightings, and vast amounts of fascinating information. It was a life-changing experience that greatly exceeded our most optimistic hopes. We arrived in Tanzania’s Kilimanjaro International Airport after a 10,000-mile, 26-hour journey, and were greeted by our remarkable tour director, Joseph Mushi, and a driver. We hopped into the rugged Toyota Land Cruiser,

Getting Lost in a Good Book (or 21)

I’ve always been a reader, from my childhood on, and the allure of getting lost in a good book has never released its grip on me. Since my retirement in June 2022, I’ve been reading a lot. Here are some of my favorite books from the past year; let me know your thoughts about these or others! Fiction 100 Years of Solitude , Gabriel García Márquez – Márquez’s fantastical epic about the Colombian Buendia family is one of the greatest books I’ve read. Cold Mountain , Charles Frazier – Outstanding literary novel about a wounded Civil War soldier’s desertion and return to home. Beautifully written prose. Age of Vice , Deepti Kapoor – Great fictional account of a poor Indian boy’s introduction to the Indian mafia, his rise and fall within, and his ultimate redemption. The Slope of Memory ,  Jos é  Geraldo Vieira – A cerebral tale of a Brazilian writer that is like a mashup of a D.H. Laurence novel and the philosophical dialectic of Plato’s Republic (but much more entertaining than I’m

OBX

In recent years we’ve rented houses on New Jersey’s Long Beach Island for a week and hosted our kids and their families. This year, we decided to try something new: Donna and I rented a house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks for a week to kick off summer with our children and their families. It was one of the best family vacations we’ve had. The weather was fantastic the entire week. The ocean water was so warm that even Donna got in. The beach was composed of soft, powdery sand and the waves were mostly calm. Skittish ghost crabs, with their pincers up and their eyes atop periscope-like stalks, would partially emerge from their hiding holes in the sand, cautiously sidestep a couple feet, then dart to another hole. Patrols of pelicans, rarely seen at LBI, were ubiquitous, and we saw dolphins arching just past the breakers nearly every day. The house Donna had found – she has a knack for finding great vacation houses – was perfect. Oceanfront with private beach access. Pool. Seven be