Skip to main content

Sharkfest!

I survived Sharkfest!  I successfully swam the 1.5 miles from Alcatraz Island to Aquatic Park near Fisherman's Wharf this morning.   There were four of us from Central Maryland Y Masters and we all finished.

After we checked in, got our timing chips and heard instructions from the race organizer, I and the other 900 swimmers(!) walked about half a mile to a dock where we boarded two large boats, which took us to the east side of the island.  There we jumped off in twos and swam a few hundred yards to the starting line and treaded while we awaited the starting whistle. 

When the whistle finally sounded, there was a great deal of kicking, elbowing and thrashing because we were all right on top of each other.  I maneuvered around slower swimmers as best I could and wound my way to open patches so I could get on with the business of swimming.

There were lots of kayaks and small boats patrolling to make sure we stayed on course as we headed to shore and kept other bay traffic away.  A lead boat with a large, bright buoy on the top of its mast guided us through the choppy water.  Both the air and water temperatures were about 58 degrees, and the sky was gray and foggy.

We were told there would be a strong current as the ebb tide picked up, and we would have to aim about 200 yards to the east of the inlet we needed to enter, but the current never materialized.  So many of us swam a little further east than we should have and ended up having to cut back. 

I wasn't sure how to pace my swim.  I knew it was much shorter than the Chesapeake Bay swim but, because of the temperature and chop, it would be more challenging.  I intended to start out fairly slowly, but the cold and the adreneline I think caused me to go pretty fast.  I was getting winded by the end of the first half mile and had to slow myslef down.  But by the last half mile, I decided I needed to pick it up and swim hard.  I was nearly sprinting--probably not the smartest decision but I didn't want to leave any energy in the water.

I didn't.  When I got to the finish line I was completely spent.  Donna said I looked like a dead man, ashen with purple lips.  I was barely able to stand.  A race official removed the timing chip from my ankle and Donna got me to the nearby bleachers so I could sit.  After a few minutes I felt and looked better.

My time was 35:14, better than I was hoping for.  The organizers haven't yet posted details of the finish, but I'll include those later.  I'll also share more of our non-swim-related vacation in my next post.  Meantime, here are a few pictures...





Comments

  1. So proud of you, Dad! So glad you out-swam the sharks! Love, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...me and the other 900 swimmers..." ? Hmm. But congratulations. I always thought you were part fish. And that's a great smile. It reminded me of the smile on your face when we were teenagers, and you had just won a swim race; I took your photo, and you had this amazing, piercing smile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Afri-freaking-ca!

Donna and I recently took the trip of a lifetime, a safari in Tanzania on Africa’s central east coast. We visited Tarangire National Park, with multiple herds of elephants; Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which features the renowned Ngorongoro crater; and Serengeti National Park. Serengeti, like Ngorongoro, is a UNESCO World Heritage site; it is home to some 1.5 million migratory wildebeest, 400,000 zebra, 3,000 lions, and many other herbivores and predators. After much research, we booked our 10-day excursion through Micato Safaris . It was a great choice. We were pampered with luxurious accommodations, incredibly up-close animal sightings, and vast amounts of fascinating information. It was a life-changing experience that greatly exceeded our most optimistic hopes. We arrived in Tanzania’s Kilimanjaro International Airport after a 10,000-mile, 26-hour journey, and were greeted by our remarkable tour director, Joseph Mushi, and a driver. We hopped into the rugged Toyota Land Cruiser,

Getting Lost in a Good Book (or 21)

I’ve always been a reader, from my childhood on, and the allure of getting lost in a good book has never released its grip on me. Since my retirement in June 2022, I’ve been reading a lot. Here are some of my favorite books from the past year; let me know your thoughts about these or others! Fiction 100 Years of Solitude , Gabriel García Márquez – Márquez’s fantastical epic about the Colombian Buendia family is one of the greatest books I’ve read. Cold Mountain , Charles Frazier – Outstanding literary novel about a wounded Civil War soldier’s desertion and return to home. Beautifully written prose. Age of Vice , Deepti Kapoor – Great fictional account of a poor Indian boy’s introduction to the Indian mafia, his rise and fall within, and his ultimate redemption. The Slope of Memory ,  Jos é  Geraldo Vieira – A cerebral tale of a Brazilian writer that is like a mashup of a D.H. Laurence novel and the philosophical dialectic of Plato’s Republic (but much more entertaining than I’m

OBX

In recent years we’ve rented houses on New Jersey’s Long Beach Island for a week and hosted our kids and their families. This year, we decided to try something new: Donna and I rented a house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks for a week to kick off summer with our children and their families. It was one of the best family vacations we’ve had. The weather was fantastic the entire week. The ocean water was so warm that even Donna got in. The beach was composed of soft, powdery sand and the waves were mostly calm. Skittish ghost crabs, with their pincers up and their eyes atop periscope-like stalks, would partially emerge from their hiding holes in the sand, cautiously sidestep a couple feet, then dart to another hole. Patrols of pelicans, rarely seen at LBI, were ubiquitous, and we saw dolphins arching just past the breakers nearly every day. The house Donna had found – she has a knack for finding great vacation houses – was perfect. Oceanfront with private beach access. Pool. Seven be