Skip to main content

R.I.P., Aunt Mary

My Aunt Mary passed away on Tuesday, February 23. I was asked to give a tribute at her funeral Mass on Thursday. Here it is.

It’s a privilege for me to give a eulogy today about my Aunt Mary. I am proud to have known her, I regret not taking the time to get to know her better, and yet I am a better person for having known her as well as I did.
What, exactly, is a eulogy? Well, the word comes from the Latin “eulogia,” which means holy bread. Eulogia was the blessed bread given to the congregation at the end of the liturgy. So a eulogy is supposed to provide some spiritual nourishment.
That’s a tall order – and something I’m not equipped to deliver.
Instead, I’d like to simply talk about why I loved Aunt Mary.
To begin with, Aunt Mary was a character. She was a hoot. She brought joy, and mirth, and laughter to just about everyone and to any situation, and had a glint of mischief in her eyes.
If you’ve ever seen the old Douglass family home movies, you’ve probably seen Aunt Mary sitting outside with her mother-in-law, Grandmother Pauline and Mary Francis, her father-in-law’s sister, the three of them holding those foot-and-a-half-long cigarette holders elegantly between their fingers, elbows on the table, wrists cocked just so, like in the movies. I don’t know if it was done to look glamorous, or as a joke, but the image of her and the other ladies with those things, chatting it up and laughing it up, about what we’ll never know, always makes me smile.
Of course, there was a lot more to Aunt Mary than being fun-loving. She was a giver. She gave of herself by caring deeply about those around her.
Whenever she saw me, she always made me feel as if I were special. Whether as a kid in Hungerford riding my bike up to Brice Road for a visit; or when our families would gather at Grandmother and Granddaddy’s house on Claggett Drive for cookouts and badminton, or pancake breakfasts, or those god-awful soup beans; or dinners at the Cozy Inn; or later at those epic Christmas Eve celebrations the girls put on at Mary and Jim’s, she always asked about what she knew was important to me. She had a special gift to make me feel special, as if she had a special connection to me. Of course, that’s how she made everyone feel.
Where did that ability of Aunt Mary’s come from? She took the time to stop, to pay attention, and to respond.
There’s a story in the Bible – in Luke's gospel -- about Jesus healing the blind man. Jesus was on his way to Jericho to minister. The blind man calls out to Jesus, asking for mercy. Jesus stops and asks him what he wants; the blind man says he wants to recover his sight, and Jesus obliges.
Much is made about the blind man’s faith, but to me, the power of the story is that Jesus stopped, he paid attention, and he responded. That’s how miracles happen – when people stop and take the time to care about others. And that’s what Aunt Mary did, all the time.
Finally, Aunt Mary was the embodiment of love.
She was a rock of loyalty, and generous with her love. She accepted everyone, and loved unconditionally, without judgment. But I don’t have to tell any of you that. We all know how much she loved us.

Victor Hugo, in his novel, Les Miserables, wrote that “to love another person is to see the face of God.” I believe that Aunt Mary, through her love, has indeed seen the face of God. And I believe that through Mary’s love for us, so have we.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Afri-freaking-ca!

Donna and I recently took the trip of a lifetime, a safari in Tanzania on Africa’s central east coast. We visited Tarangire National Park, with multiple herds of elephants; Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which features the renowned Ngorongoro crater; and Serengeti National Park. Serengeti, like Ngorongoro, is a UNESCO World Heritage site; it is home to some 1.5 million migratory wildebeest, 400,000 zebra, 3,000 lions, and many other herbivores and predators. After much research, we booked our 10-day excursion through Micato Safaris . It was a great choice. We were pampered with luxurious accommodations, incredibly up-close animal sightings, and vast amounts of fascinating information. It was a life-changing experience that greatly exceeded our most optimistic hopes. We arrived in Tanzania’s Kilimanjaro International Airport after a 10,000-mile, 26-hour journey, and were greeted by our remarkable tour director, Joseph Mushi, and a driver. We hopped into the rugged Toyota Land Cruiser,

Getting Lost in a Good Book (or 21)

I’ve always been a reader, from my childhood on, and the allure of getting lost in a good book has never released its grip on me. Since my retirement in June 2022, I’ve been reading a lot. Here are some of my favorite books from the past year; let me know your thoughts about these or others! Fiction 100 Years of Solitude , Gabriel García Márquez – Márquez’s fantastical epic about the Colombian Buendia family is one of the greatest books I’ve read. Cold Mountain , Charles Frazier – Outstanding literary novel about a wounded Civil War soldier’s desertion and return to home. Beautifully written prose. Age of Vice , Deepti Kapoor – Great fictional account of a poor Indian boy’s introduction to the Indian mafia, his rise and fall within, and his ultimate redemption. The Slope of Memory ,  Jos é  Geraldo Vieira – A cerebral tale of a Brazilian writer that is like a mashup of a D.H. Laurence novel and the philosophical dialectic of Plato’s Republic (but much more entertaining than I’m

OBX

In recent years we’ve rented houses on New Jersey’s Long Beach Island for a week and hosted our kids and their families. This year, we decided to try something new: Donna and I rented a house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks for a week to kick off summer with our children and their families. It was one of the best family vacations we’ve had. The weather was fantastic the entire week. The ocean water was so warm that even Donna got in. The beach was composed of soft, powdery sand and the waves were mostly calm. Skittish ghost crabs, with their pincers up and their eyes atop periscope-like stalks, would partially emerge from their hiding holes in the sand, cautiously sidestep a couple feet, then dart to another hole. Patrols of pelicans, rarely seen at LBI, were ubiquitous, and we saw dolphins arching just past the breakers nearly every day. The house Donna had found – she has a knack for finding great vacation houses – was perfect. Oceanfront with private beach access. Pool. Seven be