Skip to main content

The Turntable

One of the things I inherited from my dad was his interest in stereos. An engineer, he prided himself on having high-end equipment and a collection of popular music from the early 1960s – Patti Page, Al Hirt, Pete Fountain, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, people like that. I remember when my Uncle Harley died, my dad took possession of a speaker system in a massive mahogany cabinet – it must have been three feet across, three feet deep and four feet high – that was shaped to fit in the corner of a room. Dad somehow managed to hang it from the top of the staircase so it was optimally positioned to blast “A Taste of Honey” into the living room to balance another very large speaker on the room’s far side.

When I was a teenager I had a good stereo system too. Back then, a stereo consisted of an amplifier and tuner, speakers the size of luggage, and a turntable and cartridge, which featured a needle with a diamond stylus. Very 20th Century.

I also had a big and growing record collection: almost every Beatles album, The Who, Rolling Stones, Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan, Little Feat, Eric Clapton, and many, many others.
 Of course, when I entered college, I took it all with me. Clothes? A few pairs of jeans and some polos. Furniture? Something to hold the records. A desk lamp that I still have in my study. But mainly my music.

I did some dumb things in college, including (but certainly not limited to) selling off some of my LPs for beer money. I still have a couple hundred records from that time, but gone are those by Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, and other artists.

The stereo components – and my records – lasted through college and into my adulthood, but once Donna and I started a family, my interest in music took a decided back seat to raising kids and my career. I replaced the big JBL speakers to what would fit in a small apartment otherwise furnished with real tables, chairs, bookcases and toys. I continued to play music occasionally, but didn’t buy many albums; my record collection today is a time capsule of the late sixties to the mid-eighties.

A few years ago my turntable – a Dual model with a wood base from the early 1970s – died. The rubber band that connects the drive capstan to the turntable disintegrated. I wondered if it was time to get rid of my albums and move on. Out of laziness, they remained in the darkest confines of our basement.

When we moved my mom from her independent living apartment to a smaller unit a couple summers ago, my family undertook the massive project of figuring out what of her possessions she would have room to keep, and what to do with the rest. Our kids took some of her furniture; Donna and I took a couple pieces, along with photo albums, sentimental items like heirloom dishes and Dad’s nameplate from work, and put some of her stuff in our basement for storage. I also took Dad’s amplifier and tuner. He didn’t have a turntable – his records had gone by the wayside decades ago. The rest of Mom's things were donated or trashed.

I recently had been thinking again of getting rid of my albums. But looking through them, they brought back fond memories of dorm room parties and crabs and lacrosse on the quad with those big JBLs pointed out the window while Van Morrison boomed out in his incoherent, plaintiff voice. Maybe I shouldn’t throw them out after all.


For my birthday last month Donna gave me a turntable. It took me almost two hours to hook it up in the cabinet that now housed Dad’s components – stereo cabinets really shouldn’t have backs on them. I got it working, and started breaking out some old records – Sgt. Pepper, Leon Russell’s Carney, a nice Rod Stewart album called Atlantic Crossing that has a fast side for parties and a slow one for just listening to.

I’m really enjoying this gift of looking backward a little, reminiscing, and hearing some good, old music.


Comments

  1. I really enjoy Dave's writing. And as his older brother, I have special insights into his comment that he "did some dumb things in college" because I was there with him. But I'll save further stories for later. As for music, it's unfortunate that we don't live on the same coast, but I do wish I could listen to some of his records with him. I bet we could tell some cool stories about Dad and his music.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Afri-freaking-ca!

Donna and I recently took the trip of a lifetime, a safari in Tanzania on Africa’s central east coast. We visited Tarangire National Park, with multiple herds of elephants; Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which features the renowned Ngorongoro crater; and Serengeti National Park. Serengeti, like Ngorongoro, is a UNESCO World Heritage site; it is home to some 1.5 million migratory wildebeest, 400,000 zebra, 3,000 lions, and many other herbivores and predators. After much research, we booked our 10-day excursion through Micato Safaris . It was a great choice. We were pampered with luxurious accommodations, incredibly up-close animal sightings, and vast amounts of fascinating information. It was a life-changing experience that greatly exceeded our most optimistic hopes. We arrived in Tanzania’s Kilimanjaro International Airport after a 10,000-mile, 26-hour journey, and were greeted by our remarkable tour director, Joseph Mushi, and a driver. We hopped into the rugged Toyota Land Cruiser,

Getting Lost in a Good Book (or 21)

I’ve always been a reader, from my childhood on, and the allure of getting lost in a good book has never released its grip on me. Since my retirement in June 2022, I’ve been reading a lot. Here are some of my favorite books from the past year; let me know your thoughts about these or others! Fiction 100 Years of Solitude , Gabriel García Márquez – Márquez’s fantastical epic about the Colombian Buendia family is one of the greatest books I’ve read. Cold Mountain , Charles Frazier – Outstanding literary novel about a wounded Civil War soldier’s desertion and return to home. Beautifully written prose. Age of Vice , Deepti Kapoor – Great fictional account of a poor Indian boy’s introduction to the Indian mafia, his rise and fall within, and his ultimate redemption. The Slope of Memory ,  Jos é  Geraldo Vieira – A cerebral tale of a Brazilian writer that is like a mashup of a D.H. Laurence novel and the philosophical dialectic of Plato’s Republic (but much more entertaining than I’m

OBX

In recent years we’ve rented houses on New Jersey’s Long Beach Island for a week and hosted our kids and their families. This year, we decided to try something new: Donna and I rented a house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks for a week to kick off summer with our children and their families. It was one of the best family vacations we’ve had. The weather was fantastic the entire week. The ocean water was so warm that even Donna got in. The beach was composed of soft, powdery sand and the waves were mostly calm. Skittish ghost crabs, with their pincers up and their eyes atop periscope-like stalks, would partially emerge from their hiding holes in the sand, cautiously sidestep a couple feet, then dart to another hole. Patrols of pelicans, rarely seen at LBI, were ubiquitous, and we saw dolphins arching just past the breakers nearly every day. The house Donna had found – she has a knack for finding great vacation houses – was perfect. Oceanfront with private beach access. Pool. Seven be