Skip to main content

Exploring My Heritage Part 2 – The Harpers


I have an interest in peoples’ names – how they got them and what they might tell us about the person’s background.

For instance, my dad was named after his father, Paul Manuel Douglass. I remember asking him where the name Manuel came from – it looks Hispanic, although I’m unaware of any such lineage.  (It’s pronounced “Man-u-el,” rather than “Man-wel.”). He didn’t know and had never inquired. Maybe my dad didn’t share my curiosity.

There’s a motherlode of interesting names on my mom’s side of the family. My maternal grandmother’s family, the Harpers, were farmers in central West Virginia. John David Harper, who I appear with in an old black and white photo as an infant, had a wooden leg; I believe he lost it in a railroad accident. I don’t know anything about his wife, Lucinda Jane Evans, other than she bore 10 children whose names, and those of their spouses, are listed below:

Child
Married
Florence Emma
Steve Stevens
Grace Olive
Wilbert Kerens; upon his death,
Enos Kerens (Wilbert’s brother)
Effie Ellen
Clyde Kerens (Wilbert’s and Enos’ brother)
Charles Jennings
Roella
Lella Fern
Hoke Caplinger
Oscar Maxie (died in infancy)

Orpha Mona
Joe Taylor
Blanche Leona (my grandmother)
Earl Frank Egleson
Floyd Michael
Edna; upon her death,
Pearl
Opal Vergie
Hubert Martz

I remember many of these folks and relished saying the couples’ names: Grace and Enos, Lella and Hoke, Opal and Hubert, and Orpha (pronounced “Orphie”) and Joe. Why would John and Lucinda name a daughter Grace Olive? Or Orpha Mona? Or Effie Ellen or Opal Vergie? I’ll never know. Perhaps they weren’t unusual-sounding back at the turn of the 20th Century in Appalachia.
 
The Harpers were farm people who took pride in subsisting on what they grew or made. Like Blanche and her family, my grandfather, Grandpa Earl, grew up on a farm in West Virginia. He wrote a memoir explaining how he helped make everything from maple sugar to wool socks. His family’s farm had a coal mine, pigs, sheep, vegetables, hay, and fruit trees.
 
When I was a kid, we would make the six-hour drive from Rockville, Maryland, up and around the Appalachian Mountains, to a state park in Elkins, West Virginia for the annual Harper family reunion. Inside a covered shelter were rows of picnic tables groaning under the weight of hams, chicken, homemade salads, rolls, side dishes of every variety, and pies. I mean, pies. Peach pies, apple pies, banana cream pies, chocolate pies, coconut cream pies, rhubarb pies. Lots of pies.

Some of these families moved to Florida in the 1960s. I remember going to a fish fry at a park by the St. John’s River near Deland. One lasting memory is of the segregated bathrooms and water fountains, marked “Colored” and “Whites.”
 
Such signs were only at the surface of deep, institutional, court-supported discrimination. As recently as my childhood, Jim Crow laws were alive and well, and not just in the deep South. Blacks were openly and widely treated, if as citizens at all, as third-class citizens, disadvantaged in every aspect of society: schools, job prospects, housing, voting. The movie Green Book focused on the issue, but I think glossed over it a bit. While Jim Crow laws have been rescinded, prejudice remains alive and well – in subtle and unspoken undercurrents and, in the last two years, ways that are not so quiet nor indirect.

I’d like to think my kin were staunchly opposed to such indefensible bigotry.  But that’s something else I’ll never know.






Comments

  1. Hello,

    I am starting to create my own genealogy blog. I hope you don’t mind me using your blog posts for inspiration? Your family history and photos are very intriguing. I would love to have such a diverse genealogy like your own.

    All the best,
    Kian.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Afri-freaking-ca!

Donna and I recently took the trip of a lifetime, a safari in Tanzania on Africa’s central east coast. We visited Tarangire National Park, with multiple herds of elephants; Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which features the renowned Ngorongoro crater; and Serengeti National Park. Serengeti, like Ngorongoro, is a UNESCO World Heritage site; it is home to some 1.5 million migratory wildebeest, 400,000 zebra, 3,000 lions, and many other herbivores and predators. After much research, we booked our 10-day excursion through Micato Safaris . It was a great choice. We were pampered with luxurious accommodations, incredibly up-close animal sightings, and vast amounts of fascinating information. It was a life-changing experience that greatly exceeded our most optimistic hopes. We arrived in Tanzania’s Kilimanjaro International Airport after a 10,000-mile, 26-hour journey, and were greeted by our remarkable tour director, Joseph Mushi, and a driver. We hopped into the rugged Toyota Land Cruiser,

Getting Lost in a Good Book (or 21)

I’ve always been a reader, from my childhood on, and the allure of getting lost in a good book has never released its grip on me. Since my retirement in June 2022, I’ve been reading a lot. Here are some of my favorite books from the past year; let me know your thoughts about these or others! Fiction 100 Years of Solitude , Gabriel García Márquez – Márquez’s fantastical epic about the Colombian Buendia family is one of the greatest books I’ve read. Cold Mountain , Charles Frazier – Outstanding literary novel about a wounded Civil War soldier’s desertion and return to home. Beautifully written prose. Age of Vice , Deepti Kapoor – Great fictional account of a poor Indian boy’s introduction to the Indian mafia, his rise and fall within, and his ultimate redemption. The Slope of Memory ,  Jos é  Geraldo Vieira – A cerebral tale of a Brazilian writer that is like a mashup of a D.H. Laurence novel and the philosophical dialectic of Plato’s Republic (but much more entertaining than I’m

OBX

In recent years we’ve rented houses on New Jersey’s Long Beach Island for a week and hosted our kids and their families. This year, we decided to try something new: Donna and I rented a house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks for a week to kick off summer with our children and their families. It was one of the best family vacations we’ve had. The weather was fantastic the entire week. The ocean water was so warm that even Donna got in. The beach was composed of soft, powdery sand and the waves were mostly calm. Skittish ghost crabs, with their pincers up and their eyes atop periscope-like stalks, would partially emerge from their hiding holes in the sand, cautiously sidestep a couple feet, then dart to another hole. Patrols of pelicans, rarely seen at LBI, were ubiquitous, and we saw dolphins arching just past the breakers nearly every day. The house Donna had found – she has a knack for finding great vacation houses – was perfect. Oceanfront with private beach access. Pool. Seven be