Skip to main content

Early Days of the Pandemic


The coronavirus pandemic has disrupted everyone’s life. We all have a responsibility to practice social distancing by sheltering in place and all the rest.

Over the past week, my anxiety about the novel coronavirus has increased at roughly the same rate as the virus’s exponential spread. I worry that my wife, our children and theirs could become sick. So far, I don’t know anyone who has contracted it; a person who works in the same building as me tested positive (I don’t know who and was told that we won’t be contacted unless we were believed to be in contact with them), and the friend of one of my brothers-in-law lost his dad to COVID-19 a few days ago. It’s just a matter of time before it hits close to home.

As far as impacts on me, they are relatively minor. We are fortunate: I still have my job. We have food. Our daughters and their families are close by so we can visit them (our son and his wife are in lockdown in L.A.). We can stay in touch with friends and family through social media. Our wine closet is well stocked (but is being depleted).

I’ve been working from home a little more than a week now. It’s an adjustment, but after a couple days I got into a pretty good groove. My wife Donna and I are readers, and we have plenty of books and ebooks. We have increased the number of video services we subscribe to (for Homeland, Schitts Creek, Outlander – let me know if you have suggestions for other shows). And we have been taking long walks in our neighborhood.

Many of us had plans for the spring or summer that are in limbo or have been canceled or postponed. Donna and I had made plans to fly out to Arizona in early May and hike down and up the Grand Canyon; that will almost certainly not happen. In addition, I had gotten into the Great Chesapeake Bay Swim, the annual 4.4-mile swim in June whose route starts at Sandy Point State Park, runs between the Bay Bridge spans, and ends at Hemingway’s restaurant on Kent Island. I’ve done it several times, and it is always a great thrill for me. I was training for likely my last go at it, but with all the pools closed and no opportunity to train properly, I don’t see how the swim will go on unless the date is moved to the fall.

Over this weekend there seems to be an ominous shift in expectations about the duration of this new normal, from a few weeks to potentially a few months – or even longer. I worry about the future of small-business owners – the local dry cleaner, restaurateurs, shop owners – and employees in every industry. This could get ugly and go on for a very long time.

But enough doom and gloom. This is where we’re at, and we will make the best of it. We have great examples of people who have thrived in adversity, and reminders of how to weather dark times. Donna and I have in our dining room a painting of the outside of the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue, with the iconic marble lions flanking the main stairs up to the entrance. Their names, given during the Great Depression by the then-mayor of New York for the traits the city’s citizens would need: Patience and Fortitude.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Afri-freaking-ca!

Donna and I recently took the trip of a lifetime, a safari in Tanzania on Africa’s central east coast. We visited Tarangire National Park, with multiple herds of elephants; Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which features the renowned Ngorongoro crater; and Serengeti National Park. Serengeti, like Ngorongoro, is a UNESCO World Heritage site; it is home to some 1.5 million migratory wildebeest, 400,000 zebra, 3,000 lions, and many other herbivores and predators. After much research, we booked our 10-day excursion through Micato Safaris . It was a great choice. We were pampered with luxurious accommodations, incredibly up-close animal sightings, and vast amounts of fascinating information. It was a life-changing experience that greatly exceeded our most optimistic hopes. We arrived in Tanzania’s Kilimanjaro International Airport after a 10,000-mile, 26-hour journey, and were greeted by our remarkable tour director, Joseph Mushi, and a driver. We hopped into the rugged Toyota Land Cruiser,

Getting Lost in a Good Book (or 21)

I’ve always been a reader, from my childhood on, and the allure of getting lost in a good book has never released its grip on me. Since my retirement in June 2022, I’ve been reading a lot. Here are some of my favorite books from the past year; let me know your thoughts about these or others! Fiction 100 Years of Solitude , Gabriel García Márquez – Márquez’s fantastical epic about the Colombian Buendia family is one of the greatest books I’ve read. Cold Mountain , Charles Frazier – Outstanding literary novel about a wounded Civil War soldier’s desertion and return to home. Beautifully written prose. Age of Vice , Deepti Kapoor – Great fictional account of a poor Indian boy’s introduction to the Indian mafia, his rise and fall within, and his ultimate redemption. The Slope of Memory ,  Jos é  Geraldo Vieira – A cerebral tale of a Brazilian writer that is like a mashup of a D.H. Laurence novel and the philosophical dialectic of Plato’s Republic (but much more entertaining than I’m

OBX

In recent years we’ve rented houses on New Jersey’s Long Beach Island for a week and hosted our kids and their families. This year, we decided to try something new: Donna and I rented a house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks for a week to kick off summer with our children and their families. It was one of the best family vacations we’ve had. The weather was fantastic the entire week. The ocean water was so warm that even Donna got in. The beach was composed of soft, powdery sand and the waves were mostly calm. Skittish ghost crabs, with their pincers up and their eyes atop periscope-like stalks, would partially emerge from their hiding holes in the sand, cautiously sidestep a couple feet, then dart to another hole. Patrols of pelicans, rarely seen at LBI, were ubiquitous, and we saw dolphins arching just past the breakers nearly every day. The house Donna had found – she has a knack for finding great vacation houses – was perfect. Oceanfront with private beach access. Pool. Seven be